November 25, 2013

New York City parents sue to protect their kids' privacy

A dozen New York City parents filed a lawsuit seeking to stop the state from uploading student records to the inBloom database... a nonprofit funded by the Gates Foundation... The suit was filed against the state Board of Regents and Education Commissioner John King, who have faced tremendous criticism in recent months over their database plans, student testing tied to the Common Core learning standards, and other state initiatives.

...the lawsuit is based upon a claim that the disclosure of any child’s identifiable data without parental consent, as the Education Department plans to do, violates the state Personal Privacy Protection Law. The law, passed in 1984, spells out the conditions under which under what conditions state agencies can collect personal information about citizens. It disallows state agencies from sharing identifiable information without consent.
 Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome, but are moderated. Please keep in mind that this blog is specifically for dissemination of information that is free from political affiliation bias and uneducated fear mongering. Comments containing either will not be approved.

Additionally, although you may know me from Facebook, and I am not shy about who I am, because I do share personal experiences here I ask that you respect the privacy of my children by refraining from using my real name. Comments that use my real name will unfortunately not be published.