October 23, 2013

Teacher Evaluations Also Likely to Determine What is Taught in Math Classrooms, Teachers Say

Researchers from the University of Rochester, Western Michigan University, Michigan State University, and Washington State University Tri-Cities did a survey in April and May 2013. The survey polled 366 middle school math teachers to find out what they though about the assessments and evaluation systems used for Common Core Math.
More than 90 percent of the respondents reported that the new state assessments will influence both their instructional and assessment practices in the classroom.

Nearly two-thirds of the teachers surveyed reported that the new teacher evaluation systems will influence their classroom practices. 
Furthermore, a large majority, 86 percent, felt that there will be an increased emphasis on student test scores in their teacher evaluations."
So the teachers will be teaching to the test? Even more so now that their own evaluations will be based on the results? Well I have to admit that the article kind of leads me to wanting to give it a great big sarcastic "DUH!" but as with everything I post, please read it and come to your own conclusions.

Here a Wallingford middle school social studies teacher puts it in perspective for us:
45% of my evaluation will be tied to standardized test scores.

5% of my evaluation will be tied to the schools standardized test scores.


40% is based on two goals that I set. One of the goals has to be standardized, so based on standardized tests from SBAC
[Smarter Balanced], or district standardized tests. So 20% of our personal goals are based on standardized test scores.

Let’s see…   45% + 5% + 20% = 70%
So 70% of my evaluation will be based on test scores.
 Mr. Bogush's blog post is filled with frustration and sarcasm. And rightly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome, but are moderated. Please keep in mind that this blog is specifically for dissemination of information that is free from political affiliation bias and uneducated fear mongering. Comments containing either will not be approved.

Additionally, although you may know me from Facebook, and I am not shy about who I am, because I do share personal experiences here I ask that you respect the privacy of my children by refraining from using my real name. Comments that use my real name will unfortunately not be published.